Old Town District
The old town district consist of a few current businesses. Silas was established in 1883 and named after Silas Shoemaker. The Town of Silas currently has 23 active businesses, 5 churches and 2 cemeteries within its town limits.
Silas Memorial Veteran’s Park was designed by Ray Taylor and constructed in 2002. There are presently 134 memorial plaques. Commemorative services are held every year on Veteran’s Day, lead by Medford Taylor.
Volunteer Fire Department
Silas Volunteer Fire Department was started in 1969. Currently the Fire Department has 3 trucks, 15+ volunteers and two fire stations.
Walking Trail and Sidewalk
Silas Walking Trail and Sidewalk is located on Highway 17. The Walking Trail is in the open area (the area was the playground for the school) in front of the Silas Municipal Complex. The walking trail is 850 feet of paved walkway.
Silas Town Hall
Silas Town Hall is located in the Silas Municipal Complex, renovated in 2009, the building was formerly the Silas Elementary School that was built in 1936.
Address: Post Office Box 147
130 Indian Way (off Highway 17)
Silas, Alabama 36919
Phone 251-542-9505 Fax-251-542-9716 E-Mail -
Located in the Northernmost end of the Silas Municipal Complex is the Silas Public Library branch of The Choctaw County Library.
Community House is located in the old Town District of Silas. It was established in 2001. The house is one of the few remaining early 20th Century residence in the town. The front portion of the Community House, predating 1917, was an ice cream parlor. Silas community House is also available for rent for many functions-weddings and receptions, class reunions, family reunions, club meetings, anniversary parties, bridal showers, birthday parties and holiday gatherings.
Silas Auditorium is available for rent. It is the only auditorium in the Choctaw County Area.
The auditorium seats 544. It has carpeted floors, cushioned seats, restrooms, central heating and cooling.